Today I broke out one of my go to putting drills, one that serves multiple purposes. The main one being that it gets the nerves flowing!
I believe one of the most important aspects to address in practice is replicating those butterflies we feel standing on the first tee or facing a 3 foot putt. This is such a difficult feeling to duplicate, but I have found this specific drill gets the job done.
Here is the basic set up:
- Mark off 8 locations around the hole, all at 5 feet
- Make sure to find a practice hole that is somewhat flat
- You need 3 golf balls
- Decide on your starting point and then proceed to putt
- The goal is to make three putts in a row
- Once you do that, move to the next location and continue
- Here’s the catch, if you miss, you must start over from your starting position!
- That’s right, in order to complete this drill, you must make 24 putts consecutively
Just imagine how those nerves will feel when you get to the eighth location and just have to make 3 five foot putts to finish………you may also notice that the more you miss and have to start over, the more the frustration builds. This only adds to the challenge and helps recreate those same feelings we go through on the course.
Set a timer and see how long it takes to finish Death by 5 Foot Putts!
Leave a Reply