In a perfect world, we would all have endless amounts of time to get the body firing on all cylinders before every round of golf or practice session. But the reality is, most people run from their car to the first tee, grab the driver and spend the first four holes trying to get loose.
That’s why it is so important to have a few exercises in your back pocket that will give you a lot of bang for your buck when time is short. Combining multiple planes of movement is a great way to accomplish this. In today’s warm up exercise, we are combining the ground force activation of a squat with rotation and a reach.
Squat, Rotate, Reach
A few keys:
- Squat to the appropriate level for your body. Remember that the heels need to stay on the ground, knees not crossing the toes and also staying lined up with the angle of your feet
- As you reach for one foot, keep the chest up and hips still in line
- Drive through the ground to initiate back up
- Feel as though the rotation starts in the hips and the rest of your body follows along
- As you reach, squeeze the glutes and be sure you can still feel activation through the core
- Do 10 reps each direction
- Hopefully your face won’t be nearly as red as mine was while doing this, I had just finished hiking Kokohead Crater and was about to pass out!
Happy warm up!