Stop what you’re doing, it’s glute time! Yes, why sit on the couch watching TV when you can do this side lying hip circuit that will get those glutes burning.
Remember, the glutes are the king of the golf swing, but really they are the king of everything. There are so many things we do during the day that require these important muscles to provide support. And from a training standpoint, it’s essential to do exercises that single them out as well as ones that incorporate them into base movements such as squats, deadlifts and lunges.
This circuit is all about singling them out! And here it goes…….
- Straight leg lift with toe pointed at ground 30 reps
- Circle forward 10 times
- Circle backward 10 times
- Extended internal hip rotation 20 reps
- Standard Clam Shell 30 reps
- Repeat on the other side!
Here are some of the keys to success with side lying glute exercises:
- Posture matters, let your head rest on a pillow or in your arm to keep the spine lined up properly
- Neutral spine is essential, it’s really easy to compensate by arching the lower back with many of these motions. Instead, tuck the pelvis under slightly to the neutral position and maintain some tightness in the abs
- No need to rush any of these (although I sped the video up), focus on quality motion and feeling those glutes burn!
You’re just a few minutes away from better functioning, stronger glutes!
On another note……today was #metconmonster #day2 and I took on “Shoulder Boulders”. Basically you start with 50 pushups, then alternate between 1 minute of a cardio sprint and 15 push presses 8 times, then you finish with another 50 pushups. My arms wanted to fall off at the end. I have to admit though, I’m loving these short duration, intense workouts. However, there are a few that I am dreading!